GRADING REPORT YGS256
- Identification: Natural Unheated & Untreated Sapphire
- Carat: 2.56
- Shape: Fancy Cushion
- Measures: 9.75x6.31x3.96 (millimeter)
- Color Grade: Very Good (see comment)
- Tone: Light 33
- Color Zoning: None
- Clarity: Very Lightly Included
- Cutting Grade: Very Good+
o Brilliancy: 75%
o Depth: 58%
- Origin: Sri Lanka
- Treatment: None
Certificate No: AIGS102091486
Overall Grade: Very Good+
Comment: This Ceylon sapphire is a challenge on at least two levels:
1. What may be a fitting description of its color (other than 'beautiful')? Sapphires often confuse with changes along light settings, but not so here, this gem stays the same all day/night long. AIGS made an easy exit, but there is too much color to be just a 'tinted white'. So, how about 'extra-bright orange-yellow'? Or 'light orange peach'? Or 'orange sunshine' (lacking the pink for a padparadscha)? 'Light caramel' perhaps? I'm also reminded of 'rich butter yellow' but that does not sound durable enough for a gem. Under more images you'll find a side-shot and a 45degree front image condensing the color: Take your pick! Undoubtedly, we're looking at an remarkable crystal, shining and glowing, glittering, especially in motion.
2. The window seems to belong there! Can that be? No, not really, yet the particularly delicate color melting away in the center has a charm of its own. Also, it produces a wave of luster running inside the gem. If you see the gem in person you'll understand. Finally, we trade in a huge face of almost 10x6mm for only two and a half carats.
All-in-all, a perfectly indescribable sapphire for an elegant pendant or a seriously sized ring. I cannot remember a similar gem in the sapphire family (I even sneaked around in other online inventories to find reference colors - nada). Unheated, certified of course, practically no inclusions under the lens except one feather which you will hardly find. A spectacular lucid and shiny crystal in an utterly sweet and refreshing color. Highest visibility thanks also to the excellent traditional cutting (see the distanced handshot). Will make an outstanding ring in rose-gold with a few diamonds.
Ask a question.